You Can Help a Person with a Developmental Disability To Live with Dignity, Acceptance, Fulfillment and Independence
Together with Greater Opportunities, you can help create full inclusion and acceptance in the community for people like my sister Carla who have developmental disabilities. By supporting our daily, direct support services for individuals with special needs, you can help to fulfill their rights and desires for inclusive, community-integrated, productive, independent living.
As Trustee for my sister, I learned what it means to truly support people with disabilities. It was not easy. She made it clear that it was her life, and she wanted to live it “her way”. This required a lot of creative problem-solving. So, together, we built a strong circle of natural community supports. She was able to live safely and independently in her own home, while volunteering to serve others daily in the local soup kitchen.
We similarly use person-centered planning at Greater Opportunities to creatively tailor services to each person’s unique interests, needs and goals. We don’t pigeonhole people. We listen, explore, and find ways to make it work for them – their way.
By supporting Greater Opportunities, you can help people with developmental disabilities to…
- Grow their self-sufficiency
- Expand their skills and confidence to live independently
- Lead more enriched lives with expanded interests, life purpose, healthy habits, and a sense of belonging
- Be a valued, active part of the community
Over the past year, Greater Opportunities’ 83 staff provided direct, daily support services to 170 people with developmental disabilities so that they could live, work and play independently in their own homes, and in the community.
The following stories of two of our consumers: Debbie, and Kelton, illustrate our successful work helping the people we serve to reach their individual goals. The people we serve need help every day, and that’s where Greater Opportunities comes in … helping people like Debbie, Kelton, and so many more live enriched lives, grow their self-sufficiency, and have a sense of belonging.
Debbie has received support from Greater Opportunities since May 1981 – that’s 35 years! She came to us from a group home, seeking a more fulfilled life living independently in her own home. Debbie first enrolled in our semi-independent living training program where she learned how to cook, clean her home, manage her funds, and control her emotions. She continues to receive individualized support from Greater Opportunities through our Day Program and our Supported Living Program. Today, she lives in her own apartment along with her cat, has a boyfriend, and works as a crew member at BJs Brewhouse Restaurant with other Greater Opportunities consumers.
Debbie Has An Active and Enriched Life with Independence, Fellowship, Work and Play
Kelton is Growing and Achieving: He Will Knock Your Sox Off!
Kelton came to the Greater Opportunities Day Program directly after graduating high school. Only a year ago, he was very shy and preferred to spend his time by himself putting together jigsaw puzzles (he can do it amazingly fast – even with the pieces turned over to the blank side!) Now – Kelton is actively engaged with other people, having fun dancing, conversing and working!
Debbie and Kelton exemplify the abilities and achievements of persons we serve at Greater Opportunities. Everybody knows a “differently able” person like Debbie and Kelton who has hopes and dreams – and who has a developmental disability such as autism, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, or mental retardation, that can impair activities of daily living. They are our dear friends, family and neighbors. You know they deserve community acceptance and support to live with dignity and independence.
You can help make the hopes and dreams of people with developmental disabilities a reality. Your contribution will enable Greater Opportunities to create their unique pathway to success. Make a significant gift of opportunity – $50, $100, or more – whatever you can afford to share during this holiday season.
Your investment in Greater Opportunities will fund individual pathways to success. Your generous donation will…
- train folks in skills of independent living, like cooking, shopping and money management, communication skills, sexuality, health and safety
- ensure consumers can live safely in the community
- provide affordable housing with onsite classroom training at our Cortez apartments
- foster community integration and positive work habits through paid and volunteer work experience
- build friendships and social competencies through the Adult Development and Activity Center and community cultural and recreational activities
In closing, thank you so much for your caring and generosity. Our consumers and those who care for them appreciate your support!
Help create joyful opportunities for people with disabilities.
- $58.87 fills a day with skill-building activities for a consumer in our Adult Development and Activity Center
- $100 pays for cooking class and learning how to make healthy, low-cost meals
- $200 trains seven consumers in Independent Living Skills through a 3-hour class at our Cortez Transitional Housing program
- $500 covers seven nights of in-home support services to keep a consumer healthy and safe in their home
- $1,000 pays our monthly transportation and program supplies costs at the Adult Development and Activity Center
- $2,500 develops job opportunities for three consumers in local businesses
Click to Donate Online